Monday, November 3, 2008

More Than Enough

This past Sunday at church the pastor said something that really struck me. He said "If everyone met a need when they could there would be much less need in our world". He is so right.

I truly don't think I am a selfish person, but I think that living a life that meets needs whenever you can calls for a new level of generosity and humility that I don't think most of us naturally have. Looking back, I remember how growing up I constantly had some type of collection on the go. I remember having a collection of mini-erasers that never got used, more rocks than were in the driveway, and foreign coins from country after country. Basically, I realize that it is in my nature to hoard things. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those people who has a house full of junk and other than the coins, these collections have long been gone. But, I do tend to hold my cards close so to speak both with possessions and my emotions.

I guess sometimes it feels like there will always be someone else who will step up, or that it doesn't really matter if we do nice things or not. But as the message implied, single actions add up to equal one big change. One of my favorite quotes is by Edward Everett Hale "I am only one. But I am one. I cannot do everything, but I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can" . I guess this is all just to say, that I realized that I have a duty keep the bigger picture in perspective knowing that my little part in the overall story matters. My view of God has radically changed over the past few years, but I do believe with my whole being that God would be happy to see his children loving one another with the kind of heart it takes to live up to the quote I sited from our pastors sermon last Sunday.

I sincerely hope that Dan and I can be examples of this kind of love in the world to our little man. It does matter more than any of us know.

2 comments:

The Nilsen's Journey said...

Great post, Erin! It's something Kevin & I have also been trying to live out. As such, we bought a smaller house than we may have been able to, in order that we may share more of what we have. Thanks for your sharing. It is a good reminder!

Lindsay said...

Hi - I'm so glad you stopped by my Falk Family blog :) You don't see that every day. Your Grady is pretty darn adorable, too.

Thanks for giving me something to think about.

Lindsay